Understanding the Workplace:
Figure 1. Dangerous loading of a freight elevator.
Requirements and Recommended Practices:
- Overloading. Know the combined weight of the load and the truck.
- Damage to floor.
- Insufficient overhead clearance and space in elevator.
- Ensure the elevator has a rated capacity to safely lift the combined weight
of the load and the truck.
- Approach elevators slowly and enter squarely after the elevator car is
properly leveled. Once on the elevator, neutralize the controls, shut off the
power, and set the brakes. [29
- Ensure adequate overhead clearance for truck and space in elevator for the
truck and operator.