Requirements and Recommended Practices:
- Use an overhead guard as protection against falling objects such as small packages, boxes, bagged material, etc., but not to
withstand the impact of a falling capacity load.
- Wear a hard hat when appropriate for additional protection.
- Keep hands and feet within the forklift to avoid danger of falling loads.
- Use a load backrest extension behind the forks whenever necessary to minimize the possibility of the load or part of it
from falling rearward.
- Equip all high-lift rider trucks, order-picker trucks and rough-terrain forklift trucks with an overhead guard
manufactured in accordance with ANSI B56.1-1969, "Safety Standard for Low and High Lift Trucks," unless
operating conditions do not permit.
- As part of the daily inspection of the forklift, check the overhead guard
for broken welds, missing bolts, or other damage.