Figure 2. Damaged fork.
A fork that shows any of the following defects shall be withdrawn from service and discarded or properly repaired:
Requirements and Recommended Practices:
- Surface cracks.
- Blade or shank are not straight.
- Fork angle from blade to shank is not straight.
- Difference in height of fork tips.
- Positioning lock not in working order.
- Fork blade or shank wear.
- Fork hooks wear.
- Fork marking not legible.
- Do not operate the forklift if the forks show any of the defects listed
- Always inspect forks during the pre-operation inspection. Repair or replace the forks if they are not in good working order.
Replacement parts shall be equivalent as to safety with those used in the
original design. [29 CFR 1910.178(q)(5)]
- Do not operate a forklift from which the positioning lock has been removed
or is inoperable. As the forklift travels, the positioning lock holds the forks
in position and prevents sliding of the forks and loss of the load.