a fire extinguisher
The following steps should be followed
when responding to incipient stage fire:
- Sound the fire alarm and call the fire department,
- Identify a safe evacuation path before approaching
the fire. Do not allow the fire, heat, or smoke to
come between you and your evacuation path.
- Select the appropriate type
of fire extinguisher.
- Discharge the extinguisher within its effective
range using the P.A.S.S.
technique (pull, aim, squeeze, sweep).
- Back away from an extinguished fire in case it flames
- Evacuate immediately if the extinguisher is empty
and the fire is not out.
- Evacuate immediately if the fire progresses beyond
extinguishers operate using the following P.A.S.S. technique:
Pull the pin. This will also
break the tamper seal.
Aim low, pointing the extinguisher
nozzle (or its horn or hose) at the base of the
Note: Do not touch the plastic discharge horn on CO2 extinguishers,
it gets very cold and may damage skin.
Squeeze the handle to release
the extinguishing agent.
Sweep from side to side at
the base of the fire until it appears to be out.
Watch the area. If the fire re-ignites, repeat steps
2 - 4.
you have the slightest doubt about your ability
to fight a fire....EVACUATE
[View the P.A.S.S technique information as a 50 KB PDF, 1 page]
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.