The following references provide possible solutions for machine guarding hazards.
- Machine Guarding. OSHA eTool. Focuses on recognizing and controlling common amputation hazards associated with the operation and use of certain types of machines.
- Machine Guarding: Horizontal Injection Molding Machine Safety Tour. Allows user to take a virtual tour of an injection molding machine.
- Safeguarding Equipment and Protecting Workers from Amputations. OSHA Publication 3170, (2007). Provides information to help identify and manage common amputation hazards associated with operating and using stationary equipment.
- Preventing Scalping and Other Severe Injuries from Farm Machinery. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 94-105, (June 1994). Describes five cases of persons who were scalped when their hair became entangled around the inadequately guarded rotating drivelines or shafts of farm machinery driven by power take-offs (PTOs).
- A Guide for Protecting Workers from Woodworking Hazards. OSHA Publication 3157, (1999). Provides a general, non-exhaustive overview of woodworking standard related topics.
- OSHA Technical Manual (OTM). OSHA Directive TED 01-00-015 [TED 1-0.15A], (January 20, 1999).
- Industrial Robots and Robot System Safety. Section V entitled "Control and Safeguarding Personnel" outlines specific means for safeguarding robot systems.
- NIOSH Update: NIOSH Leads Evaluation of Strategic Machine Safety Guideline. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, (March 3, 2003). Contains a notification of a project being led by NIOSH to evaluate the effectiveness of an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) voluntary guideline to prevent fatal injuries from machine contact.
- Machine and Portable Tools. Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) Environment, Safety, and Health Manual (Chapter 25), (May 10, 2013). Provides a general discussion of machine hazards and proper safeguarding techniques.
- Safeguarding Machinery and Equipment Guideline. Government of Manitoba, Workplace Safety and Health Branch, (June 2008). Includes basics of machine safeguarding, methods of machine safeguarding, and guard construction.