Exposures to formaldehyde are addressed in specific standards for general industry, maritime, and the construction industry. This section highlights OSHA standards and documents related to formaldehyde.
There are 28 OSHA-approved State Plans, operating state-wide occupational safety and health programs. State Plans are required to have standards and enforcement programs that are at least as effective as OSHA's and may have different or more stringent requirements.
Preambles to Final Rules
- Formaldehyde (1992)
Note: The directives in this list provide additional information that is not necessarily connected to a specific OSHA standard highlighted on this Safety and Health Topics page.
- Enforcement Procedure for Occupational Exposure to Formaldehyde. CPL 02-02-052, (November 20, 1990).
Additional Letters of Interpretation
Note: The letters in this list provide additional information that is not necessarily connected to a specific OSHA standard highlighted on this Safety and Health Topics page.
- Protective equipment for formaldehyde exposure. (March 25, 1998).
- OSHA rulemaking on formaldehyde exposure limits. (March 13, 1998).
- Clarify issues related to the joint venture study and its use as objective data under the Formaldehyde Standard. (March 22, 1995).
- Labeling requirements for Formaldehyde when used as an insecticide. (August 09, 1993).
- Final rule on process safety management of highly hazardous chemicals, formaldehyde. (July 28, 1992).
- Formaldehyde (37% by weight or greater) in the Process Safety Management Standard. (June 28, 1992).
- Medical surveillance requirements of the formaldehyde standard. (August 08, 1990).
- Application of the formaldehyde standard, 1910.1048, to private medical school personnel. (June 22, 1990).
- Formaldehyde standard and private medical school personnel. (May 16, 1990).
- Requirements under the formaldehyde standard for quick drench showers, eye wash facilities, emergency plans and sampling. (December 12, 1989).
- Formaldehyde Standard Clarification. (February 21, 1989).
- Cancer warning labels for formaldehyde and products containing formaldehyde. (August 07, 1987).
- Labeling of Formaldehyde-Containing Products Under the Hazard Communication Standard. (September 09, 1986).