Shipyard Employment eTool
General Requirements >> General Working Conditions
Many conditions and operations in the shipyard that may produce hazards must be evaluated and controlled. Some of these include:
- Working Alone
- Confined or Isolated Spaces. See the Confined/Enclosed Spaces: Work page.
- Vessel Radar and Communication Systems
- Medical Services and First Aid
- Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tags-plus)
- Safety Color Code for Marking Physical Hazards
- Accident Prevention Signs and Tags
- Retention of DOT Markings, Placards, and Labels
- Motor vehicle Safety Equipment, Operation and Maintenance
- Servicing Multi-piece and Single-piece Rim Wheels
Note: Confined space entry is one of the leading hazards associated with barge cleaning. Review the Ship Repair: Confined/Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres chapter for information on how to protect workers from this hazard.