Shipyard Employment eTool
Scaffolds (Staging) >> Independent Pole Metal Scaffolds
An independent pole metal scaffold is a supported scaffold consisting of a platform(s) resting on cross beams (bearers) supported by ledgers and uprights independent of support (except ties, guys, braces) from any structure.
Before reviewing this section, refer to the General scaffolding requirements.
- Scaffold members must be maintained in good repair and free of corrosion. [29 CFR 1915.71(d)(1)]
- Vertical and horizontal members must be fastened together with a coupler or locking device. [29 CFR 1915.71(d)(2)]
- Posts must be kept plumb and rest on an adequate foundation and adequately braced. [29 CFR 1915.71(d)(3) and (d)(4)]
- Bearers must be level and installed at each working platform. [29 CFR 1915.71(d)(5)]
- Tubular bracing must be applied where required. [29 CFR 1915.71(d)(6)]