Shipyard Employment eTool
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) >> PPE Selection
The selection of appropriate PPE is based upon the hazard assessment. [29 CFR 1915.152(b)(1)] Procedures for selection of PPE include:
- Identifying the potential hazards.
- Determining the types of protective equipment available for the present hazards.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the PPE.
- Selecting appropriate protective equipment.
- Providing a variety of sizes to properly fit all users.
- Selecting equipment that is compatible with other PPE.
General Shipyard Worker PPE
Types of general shipyard work personal protective equipment include:
OSHA hierachy of controls is:
- Engineering Controls
- Administration Controls
- Personal Protective Equipment
Specific Operations Requiring Additional PPE
The following specific operations may require additional PPE:
- Cleaning and Other Cold Work
- PPE Selection: Workers in Confined or Enclosed Spaces
- Hot Work
- Surface Preparation
Note: Confined space entry is one of the leading hazards associated with barge cleaning. Review the Ship Repair: Confined or Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres chapter for information on how to protect workers from this hazard.