Tutorial » Testing of Machines
When may lockout or tagout devices be removed temporarily?
In some circumstances, employees need to temporarily restore energy to a machine or piece of equipment during servicing or maintenance to test and /or reposition the machine or piece of equipment. Lockout or tagout devices may be removed temporarily in order to perform these tasks [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)].
What sequence of action must occur in the temporary removal of the lockout/tagout devices?
- The machine or equipment must be cleared of tools and materials [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)(i)].
- Employees must be removed from the machine or equipment area [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)(ii)].
- All lockout or tagout devices may then be removed [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)(iii)].
- Authorized employees may then proceed to energize and test or position the equipment or machinery [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)(iv)].
- Following testing or positioning, all systems must be deenergized and energy control measures reapplied to continue the servicing and /or maintenance [29 CFR 1910.147(f)(1)(v)].