Employee contact with electrical hazards and possible electrocution from:
- Maintenance equipment and machinery.
- Using damaged receptacles and connectors.
- Ungrounded electrical service near sources of water.
Requirements under OSHA's Electrical Standard, 29 CFR 1910 Subpart S
- Ensure that equipment, tools, appliances, etc. near sources of water are properly grounded. [29 CFR 1910.304(g)(6)]
- Ensure that electrical equipment is free from recognized hazards. [29 CFR 1910.303(b)(1)]
- Remove from service all defective or damaged portable electrical equipment (e.g., extension cords and other cord and plug connected equipment). [29 CFR 1910.334(a)(2)(ii)]
- Do not place defective or damaged portable electrical equipment back into service unless repairs and tests necessary to render the equipment safe have been made. [29 CFR 1910.334(a)(2)(ii)]