Skip to main content
- OSHA Training. Provides links to training and education resources as well as courses provided by the OSHA Training Institute in occupational safety and health for federal and state compliance officers, state consultants, other federal agency personnel, and the private sector.
- The Industrial Environment - its Evaluation and Control. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 74-117, (1973).
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA). American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA). Publishes manuals on the use of direct-reading instruments.
- Field Use of Direct-Reading Instruments for Detection of Gases and Vapors Body of Knowledge (BoK) Interactive Version. AIHA© and its members and volunteers worked collaboratively to develop the technical framework, known as the Body of Knowledge (BoK), that outlines the knowledge and skills a competent person should possess and be able to demonstrate when operating direct-reading instruments (DRIs) for detection of gases and vapor, 2015.
- Aerosol Science for Industrial Hygienists. Publication No. 246-SI-96R, (1995). Includes information on direct-reading monitoring for workplace aerosols.
- Direct-Reading Instrumental Methods for Gases, Vapors, and Aerosols. In: The Occupational Environment - its Evaluation and Control. Todd LA, editor. Chapter 9. Publication No. 252-BP-97, (1997).
- Direct-Reading Colorimetric Indicator Tubes Manual, Second Edition. Publication No. 172-SI-93, (1993).
- Manual of Recommended Practice for Combustible Gas Indicators and Portable Direct-Reading Hydrocarbon Detectors, Second Edition. Publication No. 158-SI-93, (1993).
- Manual of Recommended Practice for Portable Direct-Reading Carbon Monoxide Indicators. Publication No. 175-SI-85, (1985).
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- Air Sampling Instruments, 9th ed. Publication No. 0031, (2001). Includes information on several types of direct-reading instruments.
- EPA Training Manual #7 - Emergency Response to Hazardous Material Incidents. Publication No. 3115 (EPA Manual 165.16). Includes information on using direct-reading instruments for evaluating and mitigating the release of hazardous materials.
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- Direct-Reading Instruments for Gases, Vapors, and Particulates. Chapter 17. In: Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene. 6th ed., (2012).