TEXT VERSION OF SLIDE:
Title: The Confined Space
Type: Text and Image Slide
- 2 foot opening
- 4 foot wide internal diameter
- Riser was constructed of 4' X 4' concrete pipe sections
- 17 feet deep outside 16 1⁄2 feet inside
- Two 8" PVC Pipes in the bottom
- Built on a 4" to 12" bed of limestone chat
- This slide gives a break down of the sections of the manhole.
- There were 4 sections with a total height of approximately 17 feet when measured on the outside (per drawings), and the inside measurement was 16 1⁄2 feet (when measured with a trench pole). All of the sections were made of concrete and were coated with a water proofing substance. Ladder rungs were present in the interior surface.
- There was a 2 foot opening at the top, and 4 foot wide internal diameter.
- The manhole was set in a bed of gravel any where from 4 to 12 inches.
- Two eight inch plastic sewer pipe enters and exits the manhole near the bottom.
- At the time of the incident and the inspection activity, the inlets were plugged.
[Illustration of the confined space]