Through the Alliance, OSHA, USPOULTRY, NCC, and NTF (“Poultry Industry Alliance Participants”) will work together to provide Poultry Industry Alliance Participants’ members and the public with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect workers by reducing and preventing exposures related to peracetic acid, repetitive trauma injuries, and other prevalent chemical and physical hazards in the poultry industry. Alliance participants will also work to ensure that Poultry Industry Alliance Participants’ members and others understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
The goals of the Alliance include:
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communication:
- Share information on OSHA’s National/Regional/Local Initiatives (Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, Outreach), and opportunities to participate in initiatives and the rulemaking process.
- Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, root cause analysis procedures for amputations, and medical management. Develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and the OSHA and the Poultry Industry Alliance Participants’ websites) to employers and workers in the poultry industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA and the Poultry Industry Alliance Participants’ conferences, local meetings, or other co-sponsored events.
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, stakeholder meetings, or other activities that highlight injury, illness, and fatality data. The goal of this effort is to reduce hazards in the poultry industry and to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding the Poultry Industry Alliance Participants’ best practices and effective approaches through outreach materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
Training and Education:
- Develop effective training and education programs for the poultry industry regarding peracetic acid, repetitive trauma injuries, and other chemical and physical hazards in the poultry industry, and communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
- Deliver or arrange for the delivery of poultry industry safety and health training courses.