Through the Alliance, OSHA, NWPCA and NIOSH will provide NWPCA's members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' safety. The Alliance will focus on reducing and preventing exposure to hazards associated with use of pallet assembly and disassembly equipment and powered industrial trucks, and addressing occupational health issues, including ergonomics. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Develop and implement training and education programs on equipment safety with a focus on accident prevention, including amputations.
Outreach and communication:
- Prepare NWPCA job safety analysis modules with OSHA and NIOSH input for the safe use of pallet dismantling equipment commonly used in the wooden pallet and container industry.
- Share information on best practices, as jointly determined by OSHA, NIOSH and NWPCA, of NWPCA members' worksites with others in the industry and publicize the results through outreach by NWPCA and through OSHA-, NIOSH- or NWPCA-developed training programs and materials.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on equipment safety, occupational health and ergonomics that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise others' awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health whenever NWPCA leaders address groups.
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results