Through the Alliance, OSHA and the North American Meat Institute (NAMI) will provide NAMI’s members, workplace safety and health professionals, the meatpacking and processing workforce, and the public with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect workers by reducing and preventing exposure to Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
The goals of the Alliance include:
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communication:
- Sharing information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals (e.g., via regular teleconferences and online communication tools) regarding potential exposure to COVID-19 and the challenges for exposure control in meat packing and processing facilities.
- Developing information on the recognition of COVID-19 transmission risks and best practices on preventing such transmission, and disseminate these resources (e.g., via print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA and the NAMI websites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- Conducting outreach through joint forums, roundtable discussions, stakeholder meetings, webinars, or other formats on OSHA guidance and NAMI’s good practices or effective approaches for preventing COVID-19 transmission in meat packing and processing facilities.
- Speaking, exhibiting, or appearing at OSHA and NAMI conferences, local meetings, and other events regarding good practices and available resources for preventing COVID-19 transmission.
- Encouraging NAMI members and other industry stakeholders to build relationships with OSHA's Regional and Area Offices and State Plans, and to utilize OSHA's On-Site Consultation Program to improve health and safety and prevent COVID-19 transmission in meat packing and processing facilities.