- Agricultural Retailers Association
- Ammonia Safety and Training Institute
- Environmental Protection Agency
- The Fertilizer Institute
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- National Volunteer Fire Council
Through the OSHA and FSHP Alliance, the participants are committed to providing partner members and others, including non-English and limited English-speaking workers, with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health, safety and security of workers, emergency responders, and the communities surrounding establishments in the agricultural retail and supply industry. The Participants intend to specifically emphasize the safe storage and handling of fertilizers (ammonium nitrate and anhydrous ammonia), as well as the sharing of emergency response information between the agribusiness communities and first responders, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). The Alliances' goals include:
Raising awareness of OSHA/EPA rulemaking and enforcement activities
- Share information on OSHA and EPA Rulemaking and National Emphasis and related Programs, Regulatory Agendas, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process, including chemical accident prevention regulations under the Clean Air Act and emergency planning and preparedness regulations under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act.
- Update/promote ammonium nitrate and anhydrous ammonia guidance and government advisories.
Outreach and Communication
- Develop products, including fact sheets and case studies, focusing on the leading causes of injuries and fatalities in the agricultural retail industry.
- Distribute Alliance and OSHA/EPA materials in English/Spanish to employers and workers, and to the surrounding communities that may be affected.
- Invite OSHA and EPA representatives to speak, exhibit, or appear at Fertilizer Safety and Health Partner conferences, local meetings and other agricultural safety and emergency response planning events as needed.
- Conduct best practices seminars/webinars on effective emergency response procedures between volunteer fire fighters and industry partners.
- Conduct pilot training program focusing on an overview and introduction of the agricultural retail and supply industry for OSHA and EPA staff.
- Provide recommendations for agricultural retailers and suppliers focusing on fertilizer research and best practices.
- Promote the OSHA On-site Consultation Program, and EPA Programs to Fertilizer Safety and Health Partners' members, and others.