Through the OSHA and ASA Alliance, the organizations will work together to provide the associations members and others, including small businesses, with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety. In particular, the agreement will focus on addressing exposure to hazards associated with material handling and forklift operations and hazard communication issues. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and ASA's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or ASA's conferences and local meetings, such as ASA's Annual Convention, Regional Conferences, and Peer Networking Council Meetings.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding ASA's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by ASA and through OSHA- or ASA-developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, webinars, publications and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage ASA members' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the On-site Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on hazards that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings to provide input on safety and health issues or to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.