- Safety and Health Topics
Control and Clean-up
Emphasis should be placed on preventing contamination through proper building maintenance and prompt repair of water damaged areas. The following resources contain information to help prevent and control workplace hazards.
- Mold. OSHA QuickCard™, (2013). Also available in Spanish.
- Mold Hazards during Disaster Cleanup. OSHA Fact Sheet (Publication 3713), (September 2013).
- A Brief Guide to Mold in the Workplace. OSHA Safety and Health Information Bulletin (SHIB), (October 10, 2003). Provides recommendations for the prevention of mold growth and describes measures designed to protect the health of building occupants and workers involved in mold cleanup and prevention.
- Metalworking Fluids: Safety and Health Best Practices Manual. OSHA. Provides information in Section H of this manual about the control of bacterial and fungal growth in metalworking fluids.
- Guidelines on Assessment and Remediation of Fungi in Indoor Environments. New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, (November 2008). Addresses mold contamination of building components that are chronically moist or water damaged such as, walls, ventilation systems, and support beams. It provides information about assessment, inspection, sampling, and controls.
- Mold. The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). Defines and describes mold spores and strategies for asthma and allergy prevention.
- Asthma Triggers: Gain Control - Molds. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Describes actions one can take to reduce the presence of molds in indoor environments.
- Hurricane Preparedness and Response. OSHA. Includes information such as news releases, public service announcements, fact sheets, frequently asked questions, and more.
- Resources for Flood Cleanup and Indoor Air Quality. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Provides information on how to clean up after a flood and how to prevent indoor air problems.
- Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Publication No. 402-K-01-001, (September 2008). Contains instructions for cleanup and remediation of molds and moisture-related problems in schools and commercial buildings.
- A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Publication No. 402-K-02-003, (September 2010). Covers basic mold facts, cleanup concerns and recommendations, and moisture-control tips.