- Compliance Assistance Quick Start. By following this step-by-step guide, you can identify many of the major OSHA requirements and guidance materials that may apply to your workplace. Small and new businesses may find Quick Start helpful as an introduction to the compliance assistance resources on OSHA's website.
- Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL). The NRTL Program which is part of OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management (DTSEM), Office of Technical Programs and Coordination Activities (OTPCA), recognizes private sector organizations as NRTLs.
American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- Laboratory Health and Safety Committee. One of the goals of the AIHA Laboratory Health and Safety Committee is to collect and make available a compilation of laboratory safety incidents which may be used by health and safety professionals, faculty, supervisors, students, and any others who may benefit from these "lessons learned". They have attempted to list the key safety and health teaching concepts/principles for each of the incidents listed.
American Biological Safety Association (ABSA)
- Biosafety Links. Promotes biosafety as a scientific discipline and serves the growing needs of biosafety professionals throughout the world.
American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ACS - Division of Chemical Health & Safety. This web site provides information about current and past activities of this ACS division. ACS’s main contributions to the field of chemical health and safety are the journal that they publish monthly, The Journal of Chemical Health and Safety, and their technical presentations at ACS National and Regional meetings. In addition, they have an e-mail discussion list, DCHAS-L, hosting active exchanges of chemical safety information.
National Consensus Standards
Note: These are NOT OSHA regulations. However, they do provide guidance from their originating organizations related to worker protection.
American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- ANSI/American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) - Z9. Ventilation Package. The Ventilation Package establishes minimum control requirements and ventilation system design criteria for controlling and removing air contaminants. It particularly addresses airborne contaminants during open surface tank operations, laboratory ventilation and industrial process exhaust systems. This package contains all parts of ANSI/AIHA Z9.
- ANSI Z9.5 – Revision/Edition 2003. Laboratory ventilation.
- ANSI Z9.11 – Revision/Edition 2008. Laboratory decommissioning.
- ANSI/American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) 110-1995. Method of Testing the Performance of Laboratory Hoods. Specifies a quantitative test procedure for evaluation of a laboratory fume hood. A tracer gas is released at prescribed rates and positions in the hood and monitored in the breathing zone of a mannequin at the face of the hood. Based on the release rate of the tracer gas and average exposure to the mannequin, a performance rating is achieved.
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards
- NFPA 45, Standard on Fire Protection for Laboratories Using Chemicals. 2011 Edition. Applies to laboratories in which hazardous chemicals are handled or stored.