A fire safety plan that covers all actions that should be taken must be developed and implemented to ensure employee safety in the event of a fire. [1915.502(a)] A fire safety plan provides workers with information and guidelines to assist them in recognizing, reporting and controlling fire hazards aboard marine vessels and structures within a shipyard.
Maritime Labor/Industry Recommendations
Back to Top
- Develop a generic plan for use by host employer and contractors.
- Subcontractors or supervisors are accountable for workers during evacuations.
- Subcontractors (visitors, vendors, vessel owners) or prime contactors need to comply with host employer's plan.
- Facility and prime contractor should provide all subcontractors a copy of their plan(s).
- Practice fire safety plan drills.
- Host and contractors review plan annually or any time there is a change. [1915.502(d)(2)]
- Ensure that local fire department has a copy of the plan.
- Sample Fire Safety Plans. Shipbuilders Council of America, (2006).