The Incident Safety Officer works as a support officer
for the Incident Commander. The SO may have assistants,
as necessary, and the assistants may also represent assisting
agencies or jurisdictions. Safety assistants may have
specific responsibilities, such as air operations, hazardous
materials, etc. The Safety Officer may perform the following
- Prepare a site-specific Safety and Health Plan
and publish Site Safety Plan summary (ICS Form 208,
410 KB PDF*)
- Identify and cause correction of occupational safety
and health hazards.
- Continuously monitor workers for exposure to safety
or health hazardous conditions.
- Alter, suspend, evacuate or terminate activities
that may pose immanent safety or health danger to
- Take appropriate action to mitigate or eliminate
unsafe condition, operation, or hazard.
- Provide training and safety and health information.
- Perform assessment of engineering controls and PPE.
- Comply with OSHA Standards.
- Document both safe and unsafe acts, corrective actions
taken on the scene , accidents or injuries, and ways
to improve safety on future incidents.
- Participate in planning meetings.
- Identify hazardous situations associated with the
- Review the Incident Action Plan (IAP) for safety
- Exercise emergency authority to stop and prevent
- Investigate accidents that have occurred within
the incident area.
- Assign assistants, as needed.
- Review and approve the medical plan.
- Maintain Unit/Activity Log (ICS Form 214,
5 KB PDF*).