Am I In Danger?
If trenches and excavations at your site are not inspected daily for
evidence of possible cave-ins, hazardous atmospheres, failure of
protective systems, or other unsafe conditions, you are in danger.
How Do I Avoid Hazards?
- Before construction begins.
- Daily before each shift.
- As needed throughout the shift.
- Following rainstorms or other hazard-increasing events (such as a vehicle or other
equipment approaching the edge of an excavation).
must be conducted by a competent person who:
- Has training in soil analysis.
- Has training in the use of protective systems.
- Is knowledgeable about the OSHA requirements.
- Has authority to immediately eliminate hazards.
To help evaluate different protection systems and identify the warning
signs of excavation failure, see the Guide for
Daily Inspection of Trenches and Excavations.