Nursing Homes and Personal Care Facilities
- Related Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Healthcare. This Safety and Health Topics page provides information on various sectors within the healthcare industry. It contains information to assist employers and employees in identifying hazards and implementing safety and health programs within their workplaces.
- Seasonal Influenza
- Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response Guidance for Healthcare Workers and Healthcare Employers. OSHA Publication 3328, (2007).
- Training Materials
- Recordkeeping Tutorial. Learn how to correctly record and maintain injury and illness records using this brief, step-by-step tutorial.
- Ergonomics Guidelines for Nursing Homes. OSHA, (Revised 2009). Provides recommendations for nursing home employers to help reduce the number and severity of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) in their facilities.
- Back Facts: A training workbook to help prevent back injuries in nursing homes. Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Education and Support Fund (ESF). The SEIU Education and Support Fund (ESF), put together a training program to educate employers and employees in the nursing care industry on ways to prevent back injuries on the job. This workbook uses a method called the small-group activity method (SGAM). This method allows participants to work in groups to solve real-life problems, building upon individual skills and experiences. It allows for learning by doing.
- Other Resources
- Beyond Getting Started: A Resource Guide for Implementing a Safe Patient Handling Program in the Acute Care Setting. OSHA and the Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare (AOHP) Alliance, (Revised Summer 2011). This resource guide addresses patient handling with the goal of providing the necessary tools for the occupational health professional (OHP) to implement a safe patient handling program.
- Safe Lifting and Movement of Nursing Home Residents. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2006-117, (February 2006). Highlights the benefits of a safe resident lifting program. Intended for nursing home owners, administrators, nurse managers, safety and health professionals and workers who are interested in establishing this program, the guide also presents a business case for investing in lifting equipment and training.
- Long-Term Care. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Provides information relating to Medicaid and Medicare for long-term care facilities throughout the United States.
- VA Sunshine Healthcare Network. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VISN 8 Patient Safety Center of Inquiry. The focus of this Center is safe mobility. Two goals for this center are: (1) To promote personal freedom and safety for frail elderly and persons with disabilities, across the continuum of care and (2) To build a "culture of safety" to support clinicians in providing safe patient care and safe working environments. The objective of the Center is to develop and test innovations and decrease risk related to patient handling and movement.
- American Nurses Association: Nursing World. This website provides links to various articles and other information relating to safe patient handling practices. The following are examples of the information contained on this website: