Shipyard Employment eTool
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) >> PPE Selection
The selection of appropriate PPE is based upon the hazard assessment. [29 CFR 1915.152(b)(1)] Procedures for selection of PPE include:
- Identifying the potential hazards.
- Determining the types of protective equipment available for the present hazards.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the PPE.
- Selecting appropriate protective equipment.
- Providing a variety of sizes to properly fit all users.
- Selecting equipment that is compatible with other PPE.
General Shipyard Worker PPE
Types of general shipyard work personal protective equipment include:
Typical PPE for shipyard workers includes:
- Hard hat,
- Safety glasses,
- Safety boots (hard toed),
- Sleeved shirt,
- Long pants (no shorts or cutoffs),
- Hearing protection, and
- Flashlight or lightstick.
Specific Operations Requiring Additional PPE
The following specific operations may require additional PPE:
- Cleaning and Other Cold Work
- Workers in Confined or Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres
- Hot Work
- Surface Preparation
- Typical Health Hazards
Note: Confined space entry is one of the leading hazards associated with barge cleaning. Review Shipbreaking: Confined or Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres for information on how to protect workers from this hazard.