Shipyard Employment eTool
Access and Guarding of Work Surfaces >> Working Surfaces
- Falls to solid surfaces
- Falls into water
- Slips, trips, and falls
Requirements and Example Solutions
- If fall hazards are identified through the Hazard Assessment required in 1915.152(b), employees must be protected from falls by the use of personal fall protection equipment. [29 CFR 1915.152(a)] See Shipbreaking Fall Protection. See also Figure 1.
- Personal flotation devices must be used when boarding, leaving, or working from small boats or floats. [29 CFR 1915.77(e) and 29 CFR 1915.158(a)]
- Good housekeeping must be maintained at all times. [29 CFR 1915.81] See Figure 2.
- The minimum walking surface on gangways, cat walks, and temporary decking is 20 inches wide. [29 CFR 1915.74(a)(1), 29 CFR 1915.74(b), 29 CFR 1915.75(a), 29 CFR 1915.75(g)]
- Typical guardrails are 42 inches high with a mid-rail. [29 CFR 1915.75(b)] See Figure 3.