Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA

OSHA Occupational Safety and Health Administration
U.S. Department of Labor

Process: Hazardous Energy


Make a list and check it twice.
Your life depends on it!

  • Identify and deenergize all energy sources:
    • Disconnect or shut down machinery, equipment, or systems
    • Deenergize electrical circuits
    • Block fluid (gas or liquid) flow in hydraulic or pneumatic systems
    • Block machine parts from movement
  • Block or dissipate all stored or potential energy:
    • Discharge capacitors
    • Release or block springs that are under compression or tension
    • Vent fluids from pressure vessels, tanks, or accumulators, but never vent toxic, flammable, or explosive substances directly into the atmosphere
  • Apply lockout or tags-plus systems to all energy sources, including electrical breaker panels, control valves, etc.
  • Test to verify the deenergization of the machinery, equipment, or system, and the isolation of all energy sources.

Before Startup...

  • Notify other authorized and affected employees that the lockout/tags-plus systems will be removed.
  • Remove all nonessential items and ensure that the machinery, equipment, or system components are operationally intact.
  • Ensure that all employees in the work area are clear of danger points or safely removed before re-energizing the machinery, equipment, or system.
  • Inspect repair work before removing lockout or tags-plus systems and activating the machinery, equipment, or system.
  • Only remove your assigned lockout or tags-plus application.
Back to Top

Thank You for Visiting Our Website

You are exiting the Department of Labor's Web server.

The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.