Shipyard Employment (Only)
- OSHA's National Emphasis Program (NEP) on Shipbreaking. CPL 03-00-020, (March 7, 2016).
- Shipyard Employment "Tool Bag" Directive. CPL 02-00-157, (April 1, 2014).
- 29 CFR Part 1915, Subpart I, Enforcement Guidance for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Shipyard Employment. CPL 02-01-049, (November 4, 2010).
- 29 CFR Part 1915, Subpart B, Confined and Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres in Shipyard Employment. CPL 02-01-051, (May 20, 2011).
Longshoring & Marine Terminals (Only)
- Longshoring and Marine Terminals "Tool Shed" Directive. CPL 02-00-154, (July 31, 2012).
- Maritime Cargo Gear Standards and 29 CFR Part 1919 Certification. CPL 02-01-055, (September 30, 2013).
- 29 CFR Part 1910, Subpart T - Commercial Diving Operations. CPL 02-00-151, (June 13, 2011).
- OSHA Authority Over Vessels and Facilities on or Adjacent to U.S. Navigable Waters and the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS). CPL 02-01-047, (February 22, 2010).
- Compliance Assistance for the Powered Industrial Truck Operator Training Standards. CPL 02-01-028 [CPL 2-1.28A], (November 30, 2000).
- 29 CFR 1926.605(a)(1) as Applied to Marine Construction. STD 03-13-002 [STD 3-13.2], (July 15, 1982).
All OSHA Directives
- Search all available directives.
OSHA Letters of Interpretation
Maritime letters of interpretation that have been issued and remain valid have been incorporated into the Shipyard Employment "Tool Bag" Directive, Longshoring and Marine Terminals "Tool Shed" Directive, and Commercial Diving Operations Directive. Interpretations previously issued by OSHA were reviewed to determine their current validity and accuracy before inclusion into these directives. Interpretations for which standard references have been changed were updated to reflect the current standard reference before inclusion into these directives. Additional standard interpretations and compliance letters are available. Please use the search function to limit your search to specific topics.
- Shipyard Employment "Tool Bag" Directive. CPL 02-00-157, (April 1, 2014). Provides OSHA offices, interested industry representatives, State Plan programs and federal agencies with guidance concerning the application of occupational safety and health standards in shipyard employment. Also, this instruction provides current information and ensures the consistent enforcement of OSHA's shipyard employment standards (29 CFR Part 1915).
- Appendix B - Answers to Common Questions Regarding Shipyard Employment
- Appendix C - Fire Protection in Shipyard Employment; Frequently Asked Questions
- Longshoring and Marine Terminals "Tool Shed" Directive; CPL 02-00-154, (July 31, 2012).
- Appendix D - Answers to Common Questions Regarding the Longshoring and Marine Terminals Final Rules
- 29 CFR Part 1910, Subpart T – Commercial Diving Operations; CPL 02-00-151, (June 13, 2011).
Review Commission and Administrative Law Judge Decisions
- The Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC) is an independent Federal agency created to decide contests of citations or penalties resulting from OSHA inspections of American work places. To locate decisions related to this topic, search for keywords at the OSHRC site.
Other Related Information
- OSHA Products, Information and Guidance for the Shipyard Employment Industry (PDF). OSHA, (November 2007).
- OSHA Products, Information and Guidance for the Longshoring and Marine Terminal Industries (PDF). OSHA, (November 2007).
- Shipbreaking. OSHA Fact Sheet, (2001). Provides information on the hazards associated with shipbreaking.
Office of Maritime Enforcement
Provides a strategic and planned program to address occupational safety and health enforcement for the maritime industries including comprehensive program guidelines, policies, procedures, technical assistance, and information dissemination. Their information page provides contact information and describes the functions of the individuals within this office.
Maritime Crane Accreditation and Certification Program
Programs to accredit agencies to certify lifting devices used in the maritime industry.
- Certification Agencies Accredited by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration under the Regulations of Title 29, Chapter XVII, Part 1919. OSHA.
- Explanation of OSHA's Cargo Gear Accreditation & Certification Program. OSHA.
- Guidance for OSHA 29 CFR Part 1919 Accredited Agencies - Use of OSHA Official Certification Forms. OSHA.