|Before You Begin
Genius performs calculations for a respirable dust sample.
If your sample is collected as a total dust sample, you will need to make
adjustments to the PEL and Severity the Genius calculates.
The Advisor Genius will ask you for the
following information. You should find the data on the report of results from the
laboratory analysis. The first two items will be asked by pop-up screens which will appear
when you begin.
Note: If the laboratory report lists
the silica concentrations in milligrams, then you should convert that mass to a percentage
by dividing the sample weight (mg) by the dust weight (mg) and multiply the result by 100.
- Number of samples taken for one worker
- Sampling and analytical error (optional - see below)
- Total time for each air sample (in minutes)
- Average sample pump flow rate for each air sample (in liters/minute)
- Total weight of respirable dust collected for each sample (in milligrams)
- Percentage of quartz
- Percentage of cristobalite
- Percentage of tridymite
- Sampling and analytical error (SAE). This parameter is optional, but, if provided, will
allow the uncertainty in the actual measurements to be factored into the calculation and
the calculator will give a statistical range for the exposure.
software does not support this, the Genius will not operate properly.