Best Practice: Qualified Observer
SUBJECT: QUALIFIED OBSERVER
Identify and utilize qualified observer for critical tasks.
A member of the crew shall be identified to act as an observer to ensure clearances are maintained, PPE, and effective cover-up is installed. The observer shall be capable of the identifying nominal voltages, energized components, minimum approach distances, and proper safe work practices while crewmembers are working on energized lines.
NOTE: This section is not intended to mandate staffing requirements.
- The term "effective cover up" is used to describe the installation of phase-to-phase rated insulated protective cover on energized conductors and/or equipment of different potentials when the lineman is within reaching distance or in areas extended by handling conductive objects.
- The term "extended reach" is used to describe being within five feet of energized conductors and/or equipment or having a conductive object within five feet of energized conductors and/or equipment
- Eliminate injuries from unrecognized hazards or changes in conditions.
- Clarify duties and provides guidance as to when observers are beneficial.
- Provides guidance on observer qualifications.
The ET&D Partnership maintains a Web site in support of this Partnership. For more information on Best Practices visit PowerlinesafetyBack to Top