- Safety and Health Topics
- Trenching and Excavation
Trenching and Excavation
There are twenty-eight OSHA-approved State Plans, operating state-wide occupational safety and health programs. State Plans are required to have standards and enforcement programs that are at least as effective as OSHA's and may have different or more stringent requirements.
This section highlights OSHA standards and directives (instructions for compliance officers) related to trenching and excavation.
Frequently Cited Standards
OSHA maintains a listing of the most frequently cited standards for specified 6-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes. Please refer to OSHA's Frequently Cited OSHA Standards page for additional information. For Site Preparation Contractors use NAICS code 238910 in the NAICS search box.
Other Highlighted Standards
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910 Subpart D, Walking-working surfaces
- 1910.28, Duty to have fall protection and falling object protection
- 1910 Subpart H, Hazardous materials
Marine Terminals (29 CFR 1917)
- Special Emphasis: Trenching and Excavation. CPL 02-00-069 [CPL 2.69], (1985, September 19). Establishes a National Emphasis Program (NEP) for the programmed safety inspection of trenching and excavation operations.
- Search all available directives.