- Safety and Health Topics
- Lumber and Building Material Dealer Industry
Lumber and Building Material Dealer Industry
Safety and Health Programs
The implementation of a comprehensive safety and health program is an important tool for creating both a safe and a profitable workplace. The following references were selected to assist in developing a safety and health program for the lumber and building material dealer industry.
- Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs. OSHA Publication 3885, (October 2016). OSHA updated the Guidelines for Safety and Health Programs it first released 30 years ago, to reflect changes in the economy, workplaces, and evolving safety and health issues. The Recommended Practices are designed to be used in a wide variety of small and medium-sized business settings and present a step-by-step approach to implementing a safety and health program, built around seven core elements that make up a successful program.
- Job Hazard Analysis (PDF). OSHA Publication 3071, (Revised 2002). Explains what a job hazard analysis is and offers guidelines to help employers conduct their own step-by-step analysis.
- $afety Pays Program. OSHA. Interactive software that assists employers in assessing the impact of occupational injuries and illnesses on their profitability. It uses a company's profit margin, the average costs of an injury or illness, and an indirect cost multiplier to project the amount of sales a company would need to generate to cover those costs.
- Safety and Health Management Program Guidelines; Issuance of Voluntary Guidelines. OSHA Federal Register Notice 54:3904-3916, (January 26, 1989). These safety and health program management guidelines are for use by employers to prevent occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Elements of an Effective Safety and Health Program. OSHA Slide Presentation, (1989). Summarizes safety and health program guidelines.
- Business Case for Safety and Health. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page. Provides information on how an effective safety and health program can improve an organization's productivity and profitability.