There are twenty-eight OSHA-approved State Plans, operating state-wide occupational safety and health programs. State Plans are required to have standards and enforcement programs that are at least as effective as OSHA's and may have different or more stringent requirements.
Exposures to formaldehyde are addressed in specific standards for general industry, shipyard employment and the construction industry. This section highlights OSHA standards, preambles to final rules (background to final rules), directives (instructions for compliance officers), and standard interpretations (official letters of interpretation of the standards) related to formaldehyde.
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910.1048, Formaldehyde
Shipyard Employment (29 CFR 1915)
- 1915.1048, Formaldehyde
Construction (29 CFR 1926)
- 1926.1148, Formaldehyde
Preambles to Final Rules
- Page Changes to OSHA Instruction CPL 2-2.52. CPL 02-02-052 [CPL 2-2.52 CH-1], (1991, October 7).
- Enforcement Procedure for Occupational Exposure to Formaldehyde. CPL 02-02-052 [CPL 2-2.52], (1990, November 20). Presents a history of the standard, industrial uses of formaldehyde, ways exposure occur, health effects, measurement and control of exposure, and enforcement of the standard.
- Search all available directives.
- Protective equipment for formaldehyde exposure. (1998, March 25).
- OSHA rulemaking on formaldehyde exposure limits. (1998, March 13).
- Clarify issues related to the joint venture study and its use as objective data under the Formaldehyde Standard. (1995, March 22).
- Labeling requirements for Formaldehyde when used as an insecticide. (1993, August 9).
- Final rule on process safety management of highly hazardous chemicals, formaldehyde. (1992, July 28).
- Formaldehyde (37% by weight or greater) in the Process Safety Management Standard. (1992, June 28).
- Application of the formaldehyde standard, 1910.1048, to private medical school personnel. (1990, June 22).
- Formaldehyde standard and private medical school personnel. (1990, May 16).
- Medical surveillance requirements of the formaldehyde standard. (1990, August 8).
- Requirements under the formaldehyde standard for quick drench showers, eye wash facilities, emergency plans and sampling. (1989, December 12).
- Formaldehyde Standard Clarification. (1989, February 21).
- Cancer warning labels for formaldehyde and products containing formaldehyde. (1987, August 7).
- Labeling of Formaldehyde-Containing Products Under the Hazard Communication Standard. (1986, September 9).
- Search all available standard interpretations.