- Safety and Health Topics
- Cleaning Industry
This page highlights OSHA standards, directives (instruction to OSHA staff), and letters of interpretation (official letters of interpretation of the standards), and national consensus standards related to the cleaning industry
Frequently Cited Standards
OSHA maintains a listing of the most frequently cited standards for specified 6-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes. Please refer to OSHA’s Frequently Cited OSHA Standards page for additional information. For Janitorial Services, use NAICS code 561720 in the NAICS search box.
Other Highlighted Standards
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910 Subpart F, Powered platforms, manlifts, and vehicle-mounted work platforms
- 1910 Subpart G, Occupational health and environment control
- 1910 Subpart H, Hazardous materials
- 1910.106, Flammable liquids
- 1910.119, Process safety management of highly hazardous chemicals [related topic page]
- Appendix A, List of highly hazardous chemicals, toxic's and reactive's (Mandatory)
- Appendix B, Block flow diagram and simplified process flow diagram (Non-mandatory)
- Appendix C, Compliance guidelines and recommendations for process safety management (Non-mandatory)
- Appendix D, Sources of further information (Non-mandatory)
- 1910.120, Hazardous waste operations and emergency response [related topic page]
- 1910 Subpart I, Personal protective equipment [related topic page]
- 1910.133, Eye and face protection [related topic page]
- 1910.135, Head protection
- 1910.136, Foot protection
- 1910.137, Electrical protective devices
- 1910.138, Hand protection
- Appendix A, References for further information (Non-mandatory)
- Appendix B, Non-mandatory compliance guidelines for hazard assessment and personal protective equipment selection
- 1910 Subpart N, Materials handling and storage
- 1910 Subpart S, Electrical [related topic page]
- 1910 Subpart Z, Toxic and hazardous substances [related topic page]
- Inspection Procedures for the Hazard Communication Standard. CPL 02-02-079, (July 9, 2015). Establishes policies and procedures to ensure uniform enforcement of the Hazard Communication standard (HCS).
- Updated Enforcement Procedures for the Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1030. CPL 02-02-069 [CPL 2-2.69], (November 27, 2001). Establishes policies and provides clarifications to ensure uniform inspection procedures are followed when conducting inspections to enforce the Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens Standard.
- Compliance Assistance for the Powered Industrial Truck Operator Training Standards. CPL 02-01-028 [CPL 2-1.28A], (November 30, 2000). Provides compliance assistance to ensure uniform enforcement of the revised powered industrial truck operator training standards.
- Application of the Permit-Required Confined Spaces (PRCS) Standards, 29 CFR 1910.146. CPL 02-00-100 [CPL 2.100], (May 5, 1995). Establishes enforcement policy and provides an explanation of the permit-required confined spaces standard to ensure uniform enforcement.
Letters of Interpretation
- Janitorial employees exposure to bloodborne pathogens. (June 3, 1992).
- OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard as it applies to the janitorial service industry. (May 23, 1991).
Note: These are NOT OSHA regulations. However, they do provide guidance from their originating organizations related to worker protection.
- 1101, Cleaning Industry Management Standard
- E1971-05, Standard Guide for Stewardship for the Cleaning of Commercial and Institutional Buildings