Report a Fatality or Severe Injury
- All employers are required to notify OSHA when an employee is killed on the job or suffers a work-related hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye.
- A fatality must be reported within 8 hours.
- An in-patient hospitalization, amputation, or eye loss must be reported within 24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is required to report?
- If the area office is closed, may I report the incident by leaving a message on an answering machine or sending an email?
- How does OSHA define "in-patient hospitalization"?
- How does OSHA define amputation?
- Who should report a fatality or in-patient hospitalization of a temporary worker?
- What if the fatality, in-patient hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye does not occur during or right after the work-related incident?
- Under what circumstances am I not required to report an incident?
- What if I'm in a state not covered by federal OSHA?