Powered by GoogleTranslate
Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents
• Part Number: 1904
• Part Title: Recording and Reporting Occupational Injuries and Illness
• Subpart: E
• Subpart Title: Reporting Fatality, Injury and Illness Information to the Government
• Standard Number: 1904.40
• Title: Providing records to government representatives.
• GPO Source: e-CFR


Basic requirement. When an authorized government representative asks for the records you keep under part 1904, you must provide copies of the records within four (4) business hours.




What government representatives have the right to get copies of my part 1904 records? The government representatives authorized to receive the records are:


A representative of the Secretary of Labor conducting an inspection or investigation under the Act;


A representative of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (including the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health—NIOSH) conducting an investigation under section 20(b) of the Act, or


A representative of a State agency responsible for administering a State plan approved under section 18 of the Act.


Do I have to produce the records within four (4) hours if my records are kept at a location in a different time zone? OSHA will consider your response to be timely if you give the records to the government representative within four (4) business hours of the request. If you maintain the records at a location in a different time zone, you may use the business hours of the establishment at which the records are located when calculating the deadline.
[66 FR 6134, Jan. 19, 2001; 81 FR 91810 Dec 19, 2016; 82 FR 20549 May 3, 2017]

Next Standard (1904.41)

Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents

Thank You for Visiting Our Website

You are exiting the Department of Labor's Web server.

The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.