Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents|
| Part Number:||1910|
| Part Title:||Occupational Safety and Health Standards|
| Subpart Title:||Toxic and Hazardous Substances|
| Standard Number:||1910.1018 App B|
| Title:||Substance technical guidelines|
| GPO Source:||e-CFR|
ARSENIC, ARSENIC TRIOXIDE, ARSENIC TRICHLORIDE (THREE EXAMPLES)
I. Physical and chemical properties
A. Arsenic (metal).
1. Formula: As.
2. Appearance: Gray metal.
3. Melting point: Sublimes without melting at 613C.
4. Specific Gravity: (H20=1):5.73.
5. Solubility in water: Insoluble.
B. Arsenic Trioxide.
1. Formula: As203, (As406).
2. Appearance: White powder.
3. Melting point: 315C.
4. Specific Gravity (H20=1):3.74.
5. Solubility in water: 3.7 grams in 100cc of water at 20c.
C. Arsenic Trichloride (liquid).
1. Formula: AsC13.
2. Appearance: Colorless or pale yellow liquid.
3. Melting point: 8.5C.
4. Boiling point: 130.2C.
5. Specific Gravity (H20=1):2.16 at 20C.
6. Vapor Pressure: 10mm Hg at 23.5C.
7. Solubility in Water: Decomposes in water.
II. Fire, explosion and reactivity data.
A. Fire: Arsenic, arsenic Trioxide and Arsenic Trichloride are nonflammable.
1. Conditions Contributing to instability: Heat.
2. Incompatibility: Hydrogen gas can react with inorganic arsenic to form the highly toxic gas arsine.
III. Monitoring and Measurement Procedures
Samples collected should be full shift (at least 7-hour) samples. Sampling should be done using a personal sampling pump at a flow rate of 2 liters per minute. Samples should be collected on 0.8 micrometer pore size membrane filter (37mm diameter). Volatile arsenicals such as arsenic trichloride can be most easily collected in a midget bubbler filled with 15 ml. of 0.1 N NaOH.
The method of sampling and analysis should have an accuracy of not less than + or - 25 percent (with a confidence limit of 95 percent) for 10 micrograms per cubic meter of air (10 ug/m(3)) and + or - 35 percent (with a confidence limit of 95 percent) for concentrations of inorganic arsenic between 5 and 10 ug/m(3).
Next Standard (1910.1018 App C)|
|Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents|
The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.