Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents|
| Part Number:||1910|
| Part Title:||Occupational Safety and Health Standards|
| Subpart Title:||Toxic and Hazardous Substances|
| Standard Number:||1910.1018 App B|
| Title:||Substance technical guidelines|
| GPO Source:||e-CFR|
ARSENIC, ARSENIC TRIOXIDE, ARSENIC TRICHLORIDE (THREE EXAMPLES)
I. Physical and chemical properties
A. Arsenic (metal).
1. Formula: As.
2. Appearance: Gray metal.
3. Melting point: Sublimes without melting at 613C.
4. Specific Gravity: (H20=1):5.73.
5. Solubility in water: Insoluble.
B. Arsenic Trioxide.
1. Formula: As203, (As406).
2. Appearance: White powder.
3. Melting point: 315C.
4. Specific Gravity (H20=1):3.74.
5. Solubility in water: 3.7 grams in 100cc of water at 20c.
C. Arsenic Trichloride (liquid).
1. Formula: AsC13.
2. Appearance: Colorless or pale yellow liquid.
3. Melting point: 8.5C.
4. Boiling point: 130.2C.
5. Specific Gravity (H20=1):2.16 at 20C.
6. Vapor Pressure: 10mm Hg at 23.5C.
7. Solubility in Water: Decomposes in water.
II. Fire, explosion and reactivity data.
A. Fire: Arsenic, arsenic Trioxide and Arsenic Trichloride are nonflammable.
1. Conditions Contributing to instability: Heat.
2. Incompatibility: Hydrogen gas can react with inorganic arsenic to form the highly toxic gas arsine.
III. Monitoring and Measurement Procedures
Samples collected should be full shift (at least 7-hour) samples. Sampling should be done using a personal sampling pump at a flow rate of 2 liters per minute. Samples should be collected on 0.8 micrometer pore size membrane filter (37mm diameter). Volatile arsenicals such as arsenic trichloride can be most easily collected in a midget bubbler filled with 15 ml. of 0.1 N NaOH.
The method of sampling and analysis should have an accuracy of not less than + or - 25 percent (with a confidence limit of 95 percent) for 10 micrograms per cubic meter of air (10 ug/m(3)) and + or - 35 percent (with a confidence limit of 95 percent) for concentrations of inorganic arsenic between 5 and 10 ug/m(3).
Next Standard (1910.1018 App C)|
|Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents|