December 5, 2022
Department of Labor 'Star' designation recognizes Bellingham andBlackstone Power Generation LLC for workplace safety, health excellence
Massachusetts power generation facilities earn OSHA safety distinction
- Blackstone Power Generation LLC, Blackstone, Massachusetts
Bellingham Power Generation LLC, Bellingham, Massachusetts
- Blackstone Power Generation LLC and Bellingham Power Generation LLC, are operated by Luminant, a subsidiary of Vistra Corp., a Texas-based retail electricity and power generation company. Each natural gas power plant employs about 20 workers and generates up to 550 mega-watts of electricity which is supplied to the New England power grid.
- OSHA announced these new Star designations following on site evaluations in May 2022 by a team of OSHA safety and health experts. Star site designation is the highest level of recognition the agency's Voluntary Protection Program offers.
- OSHA's Voluntary Protection Programs recognize and promote effective worksite-based safety and health management systems. In VPP, management, labor and OSHA establish cooperative relationships at workplaces that have implemented comprehensive safety and health management systems. VPP approval is OSHA's official recognition of the outstanding efforts of employers and employees who have created exemplary worksite safety and health management systems.
- "The safety and health management systems at these two plants meet the high standards expected of VPP Star participants," said OSHA Regional Administrator Galen Blanton in Boston. "Leadership at each site supports active and meaningful employee involvement. Each site focuses on hazard recognition and protection of workers from routine operations and tasks, especially those related to electrical hazards."
Learn more about OSHA.
# # #