May 4, 2022
US Department of Labor renews ‘Star Level’ designation of Acushnet
Company, Custom Operations for workplace safety, health achievements
Customized golf ball facility maintains safety distinction since 1998
- Acushnet Company, Custom Operations
New Bedford, Massachusetts
- Acushnet Company, Custom Operations employs about 200 workers at the New Bedford site, which produces golf balls and other equipment customized with names, logos and images. Employees at the site develop graphics, operate printing and finishing machines, package, warehouse and ship products and perform office functions.
- OSHA first recognized Acushnet Company, Custom Operations in 1998 as a “star” site – the highest level of recognition that the agency’s Voluntary Protection Programs offers. The facility earned its latest VPP star renewal following an onsite evaluation in November 2021 by a team of OSHA safety and health experts.
- OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Programs recognize and promote effective worksite-based safety and health management systems. In the VPP, management, labor and OSHA establish cooperative relationships at workplaces that have implemented comprehensive safety and health management systems. Approval into VPP is OSHA’s official recognition of the outstanding efforts of employers and employees who have created exemplary worksite safety and health management systems.
- “The level of workplace safety and health practiced by Acushnet Company, Custom Operations over the years is inspiring,” said OSHA Regional Administrator Galen Blanton in Boston. “This long-standing participant has an exceptional record of safety and health innovation. The managers and employees work to continuously improve processes. Since their last reapproval they have focused on new machine guarding and changes to material handling equipment to reduce ergonomic stressors. We know from experience that design improvements often benefit employee safety and health and production quality.”
# # #
Release Number: 22-643-BOS
U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The department’s Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).