Archive Notice - OSHA Archive

NOTICE: This is an OSHA Archive Document, and may no longer represent OSHA Policy. It is presented here as historical content, for research and review purposes only.

OSHA requirements are set by statute, standards and regulations. Our interpretation letters explain these requirements and how they apply to particular circumstances, but they cannot create additional employer obligations. This letter constitutes OSHA's interpretation of the requirements discussed. Note that our enforcement guidance may be affected by changes to OSHA rules. Also, from time to time we update our guidance in response to new information. To keep apprised of such developments, you can consult OSHA's website at

July 14, 1999

Scott Holt
Manager, Safety and Ecology
Knoll Pharmaceutical Company
30 North Jefferson Road
Whippany, NJ 07981

Dear Mr. Holt:

Thank you for your letter of April 1, 1999 requesting written confirmation of an interpretation you received verbally concerning which of two facilities of the same company should record an injury on its log. I will cite the Recordkeeping Guidelines for Occupational Injuries and Illnesses (Blue Book) whenever possible.

Question: If an employee was hurt while at another facility of the same company, which facility should record the injury on the OSHA 200 log?

Answer: In most instances, employees are injured in the establishment to which they normally report. In these situations, a recordable case would be entered in the records of that establishment. In some cases, employees may normally report to one location, but be injured at another one of the employers' establishments where they are temporarily working. In these situations, a recordable case would be entered on the records of the establishment in which they were injured or became ill (Guidelines P 20, Q&A 10). If your company includes more than one establishment, then separate logs for each establishment must be maintained, and each recordable case should be recorded on the log for the establishment in which the employee was injured or became ill.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any further questions or comments, please contact the Division of Recordkeeping Requirements, at Area Code: (202)693-1702.


Cheryle A. Greenaugh
Director, Directorate of Information Technology