- Part Number:1988
- Part Number Title:Procedures for Handling Retaliation Complaints Under Section 31307 of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21ST Century Act (MAP-21)
- Subpart:1988 Subpart A
- Subpart Title:Complaints, Investigations, Findings and Preliminary Orders Sec.
- Standard Number:
- GPO Source:
As used in this part:
Assistant Secretary means the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health or the person or persons to whom he or she delegates authority under MAP-21.
Business days means days other than Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays.
Complainant means the person who filed a MAP-21 complaint or on whose behalf a complaint was filed.
Dealer or Dealership means a person selling and distributing new motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment primarily to purchasers that in good faith purchase the vehicles or equipment other than for resale.
Defect includes any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.
Employee means an individual presently or formerly working for, an individual applying to work for, or an individual whose employment could be affected by a motor vehicle manufacturer, dealer, part supplier, or dealership.
Manufacturer means a person:
(1) Manufacturing or assembling motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment; or
(2) Importing motor vehicles or motor vehicles equipment for resale.
MAP-21 means Section 31307 of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act of 2012, Pub. L. 112-141, 126 Stat. 405, 765 (July 6, 2012) (codified at 49 U.S.C. 30171).
Motor vehicle means a vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power and manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways, but does not include a vehicle operated only on a rail line.
Motor vehicle equipment means-
(1) Any system, part, or component of a motor vehicle as originally manufactured;
(2) Any similar part or component manufactured or sold for replacement or improvement of a system, part, or component, or as an accessory or addition to a motor vehicle; or
(3) Any device or an article or apparel, including a motorcycle helmet and excluding medicine or eyeglasses prescribed by a licensed practitioner, that-
(i) Is not a system, part or component of a motor vehicle; and
(ii) Is manufactured, sold, delivered, or offered to be sold for use on public streets, roads, and highways with the apparent purpose of safeguarding users of motor vehicles against risk of accident, injury, or death.
NHTSA means the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States Department of Transportation.
OSHA means the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the United States Department of Labor.
Person means an individual, partnership, company, corporation, association (incorporated or unincorporated), trust, estate, cooperative organization, or other entity.
Respondent means the person named in the complaint who is alleged to have violated MAP-21.
Secretary means the Secretary of Labor.
[81 FR 13984-13985, March 16, 2016; 81 FR 90198, December 14, 2016]