- Part Number:1918
- Part Number Title:Safety and Health Regulations for Longshoring
- Subpart:1918 Subpart J
- Subpart Title:Personal Protective Equipment
- Standard Number:
- Title:Other protective measures.
- GPO Source:
* Protective clothing.
* The employer shall provide and shall require the wearing of special protective clothing for each employee engaged in work where protective clothing is necessary.
* When necessary, protective clothing shall be cleaned and disinfected before reissuance.
* Personal flotation devices (PFDs).
* The employer shall provide and shall require the wearing of PFDs for each employee engaged in work in which the employee might fall into the water.
PFDs (life preservers, life jackets, or work vests) worn by each affected employee must be United States Coast Guard (USCG) approved pursuant to 46 CFR part 160 (Type I, II, III, or V PFD) and marked for use as a work vest, for commercial use, or for use on vessels.
* Personal flotation devices shall be maintained in safe condition and shall be considered unserviceable when damaged in a manner that affects buoyancy or fastening capability.
[62 FR 40141, July 25, 1997; 65 FR 40946, June 30, 2000]