Hand and Power Tools
Hazards and Solutions
Many workers are unaware of the potential hazards in their work environment, which makes them more vulnerable to injury. The following references aid in recognizing and controlling hand and power tool hazards in the workplace.
- Updated Small Business Safety and Health Handbook. OSHA Publication 2209, (2021). Summarizes the benefits of an effective safety and health program, provides self-inspection checklists for employers to identify workplace hazards, and reviews key workplace safety and health resources for small businesses.
- Hand and Power Tools. OSHA Publication 3080, (Revised 2002). Includes information on the dangers of hand and power tools and safety precautions.
- NIOSH Pursues Hand-Vibration Studies to Understand, Address Risks. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), (June 3, 2003). Announces that NIOSH is pursuing studies to help fill critical research gaps linking vibrating hand tools with worker injuries and point to ways for effectively reducing risks of hand-vibration disorders for employees who use jackhammers, chipping hammers, power drills, and other vibrating tools.
- Easy Ergonomics: A Guide to Selecting Non-Powered Hand Tools. Electronic Library of Construction Occupational Safety & Health (elcosh), (2004).
- Hand/Power Tools. National Ag Safety Database (NASD). Links to several informative documents covering machinery safety and hand/power tools.
- Carbon Monoxide Hazards from Small Gasoline Powered Engines. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Workplace Safety and Health Topic.
- NIOSH Numbered Publications: Hazard Controls. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Published series for wood dust:
- Control of Wood Dust from Horizontal Belt Sanders. Publication No. 96-121, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Shapers. Publication No. 96-122, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Automated Routers. Publication No. 96-123, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Large Diameter Disc Sanders. Publication No. 96-124, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Random Orbital Hand Sanders. Publication No. 96-125, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Orbital Hand Sanders. Publication No. 96-126, (1996).
- Control of Wood Dust from Table Saws. Publication No. 96-127, (1996).