- Record Type:OSHA Instruction
- Current Directive Number:STD 01-14-001
- Old Directive Number:STD 1-14.1
- Title:Replacement Welding Tips
- Information Date:
- Standard Number:
OSHA Instruction STD 1-14.1 October 30, 1978
February 22, 1973
OSHA PROGRAM DIRECTIVE #100-23
To: Field and National Offices
Subject: Replacement Welding Tips
1. Purpose. To clarify 29 CFR 1910.252(a)(1)(iii).
2. Background. Numerous requests for clarification have been received from employers and manufacturers concerned with the application of the term "approved apparatus" to replacement welding tips and convertor/adaptors (used for mounting tips). These inquiries were prompted by the fact that nationally recognized testing laboratories will not accept tips or convertor/adaptors for testing except as part of a completely assembled torch.
3. Interpretation. Use of replacement tips will not nullify the "approved apparatus" status of a torch, if such replacement tips are made to the same specifications as the original tip of the torch at the time of approval by the nationally recognized testing laboratory, or if the use of such tips in conjunction with convertor/adaptors results in the same specifications as the original tip at the time of approval by the nationally recognized testing laboratory.
4. Effective Date. This instruction is effective immediately and will remain in effect until canceled or superseded.
Director, Office of Standards
DISTRIBUTION: National Office Field A/Sec (3) Regional Administrators (3) Dep A/Sec (2) ARA Technical (2) Associate Administrator ARA Fed. & State (1) Directors (3) Area/District Offices (3) SOL (35) Training Institute (4) BLS (1) CSHO's (1) Review Commission (6) Designated State Agencies (1) NIOSH (1) NIOSH Regional Program Directors OGO Professional Staff (70) SOL Regional Attorneys (1) OS Professional Staff (50) NACOSH Subcommittee (1) OS Tech. Centers (1)