Mass Care Shelter Occupational Hazards
Safety and Health Resources
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- OSHA has issued regulations applicable to mass care shelters. These regulations are found in OSHA's Standards for General Industry, 29 CFR 1910, especially in subparts D, E, G, I, J, L, and N.
- OSHA's Small Business Handbook (PDF), provides information on setting up a workplace safety and health program and includes detailed checklists to be used for self inspection.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC's website contains information intended to increase the nation's ability to prepare for and respond to public health emergencies.
- CDC Injury and Illness Surveillance in Hospitals and Acute-Care Facilities After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita ---New Orleans Area, Louisiana, September 25-October 15, 2005. MMWR: 55(02); 35-38.
- CDC, 2005. Interim Occupational Health and Safety Survey Tool
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NIOSH provides information on workplace preparation and response to several types of emergencies.
American Red Cross
- The American Red Cross has web resources on disaster preparedness and response.