Mass Care Shelter Occupational Hazards
Safety and Health Resources
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- OSHA has issued regulations applicable to mass care shelters. These regulations are found in OSHA's Standards for General Industry, 29 CFR 1910, especially in subparts D, E, G, I, J, L, and N.
- OSHA's Hurricane Recovery website provides disaster workers with recommended best practices on specific tasks in hurricane response and recovery operations.
- OSHA's Small Business Handbook (PDF), provides information on setting up a workplace safety and health program and includes detailed checklists to be used for self inspection.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC's website contains information intended to increase the nation's ability to prepare for and respond to public health emergencies.
- CDC Injury and Illness Surveillance in Hospitals and Acute-Care Facilities After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita ---New Orleans Area, Louisiana, September 25-October 15, 2005. MMWR: 55(02); 35-38.
- CDC, 2005. Interim Occupational Health and Safety Survey Tool (PDF)
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NIOSH provides information on workplace preparation and response to several types of emergencies.
American Red Cross
- The American Red Cross has web resources on disaster preparedness and response.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top