Fertilizer Industry Guidance on Storage and Use of Ammonium Nitrate
West Fertilizer Citations
Industry and Government Resources
- Joint EPA-OSHA-ATF Guidance - Chemical Advisory: Safe Storage, Handling, and Management of Solid Ammonium Nitrate Prills [PDF]
- Joint Institute of Makers of Explosives and National Stone, Sand, and Gravel Association guidance - Safety and Security Guidelines for Ammonium Nitrate [PDF]
- The National Fire Protection Association Hazardous Materials Code (NFPA 400) Chapter 11 on ammonium nitrate
- UK Health and Safety Executive Ammonium Nitrate Leaflet [PDF]
- SafeWork South Australia Safe Storage and Handling of Ammonium Nitrate [PDF]
- The Fertilizer Institute and Agricultural Retailers Association Safety and Security Guidelines [PDF]
- Joint OSHA and Agricultural Retailers Association, Safe + Sound Fact Sheet - Agricultural Retailer Hazard Information [PDF]
- Responsible Ag resource on Ammonium Nitrate [PDF]
- Other possible OSHA standards relevant to the fertilizer industry can be found at: OSHA General Industry Standards
- Facilities located within one of the 27 OSHA State Plans should contact their State Plan office for the specific requirements in their state, which may differ but must be at least as effective OSHA standards.
For additional copies of the OSHA letter to the fertilizer industry:
For more information on the President's Executive Order 13650 Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security, see OSHA's web page.
How can OSHA help?
Workers have a right to a safe workplace. If you think your job is unsafe or you have questions, contact OSHA at 1-800-321-OSHA (6742). It's confidential. We can help. For other valuable worker protection information, such as Workers' Rights, Employer Responsibilities and other services OSHA offers, visit OSHA's Workers' page.
OSHA also provides help to employers. OSHA's On-site Consultation Program offers free and confidential advice to small and medium-sized businesses in all states across the country, with priority given to high-hazard worksites. For more information or for additional compliance assistance, contact OSHA at 1-800-321-OSHA (6742)