<< Back to The Business Case For Safety
TEXT VERSION OF SLIDE:
Title: WHAT DO ACCIDENTS COST YOU?
Type: Text Slide with Background Photo and Images
Content: Direct - Insured Costs, "Just the tip of the iceberg" [Includes
background photo of iceberg and clipart image of sinking ship with caption
that reads "Unseen costs can sink the ship!".]
Indirect - Uninsured, hidden Costs - Out of pocket
- Time lost from work by injured employee.
- Lost time by fellow employees.
- Loss of efficiency due to break-up of
- Lost time by supervisor.
- Training costs for new/replacement
- Damage to tools and equipment.
- Time damage equipment is out of
- Loss of production for remainder of the day.
- Damage from
accident: fire, water, chemical, explosives, etc.
- Failure to fill
- Overhead costs while work was disrupted.
miscellaneous costs (Over 100 other items of cost may appear one or more
times with every accident)
- Others? _________________________________
Unknown Costs -
- Human Tragedy
- Important to consider both Direct and Indirect Costs
- You tend to forget about indirect costs because they are difficult to measure
- but they can run between 2 to 6 times your direct costs