Region 9 - Alliance Annual Report - August 27, 2019
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The U.S. Department of Labor’s
Occupational Safety and Health Administration,
San Francisco Regional Office
The California Department of Industrial Relations,
Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA)
The Consulates of Mexico in California
August 27, 2012, renewed February 12, 2019
August 27, 2018 to August 27, 2019
OSHA Region 9, Cal/OSHA, and the Consulates of Mexico in California (Consulates General in Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose; Consulates in Calexico, Fresno, Oxnard, San Bernardino, and Santa Ana) formed the Alliance to provide Mexican nationals in California and others information, guidance, and access to education and training resources. The Alliance focuses on worker safety and worker rights, specifically U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
US Department of Labor, OSHA
Loren Delicana, Assistant Regional Administrator, OSHA Region 9
Justine Callahan, Safety and Occupational Health Manager, OSHA Region 9
California Department of Industrial Relations, Cal/OSHA
Erica Monterroza, Deputy Director of Communications
The Consulate of Mexico in San Francisco
Wilma Laura Gandoy Vazquez, Council for Protection and Legal Affairs
Jorge Torres, Administrative Assistant
Implementation Team Meetings
- OSHA and other Alliance participants organized the signing of Alliance Agreement Renewal.
- Alliance participants collaborated to support Labor Rights Week, via site visits, telephone, and electronic communication.
Activities, Events, and Products
Training and Education
- The Consulate of Mexico in Fresno, Consulates General of Mexico in Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and worker organizations conducted educational sessions monthly with Cal/OSHA at local sites.
Outreach and Communication
- During Labor Rights Week, the U.S. Department of Labor (OSHA, Employee Benefits Security Administration, and Wage and Hour Division) and Alliance participants provided presentations and pamphlets at the Consulates General of Mexico, Guatemala, and Peru in San Francisco.
Other participants at the San Francisco event included: The Consulate General of El Salvador in San Francisco, National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach, Mujeres Univas y Activas, International Rescue Committee Latinan, Ruby’s Place, Boxer & Gerson, Justice at Last, Equal Rights Advocate, El Concilio, La Raza Centro Legal, Centro Legal de La Raza, and Legal Aid at Work.
- OSHA staff supported this event on-site. Peter Wilsey, Rosa Garcia, and Jaren Klein distributed information on worker rights.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Consulates of Mexico in California successfully facilitated OSHA outreach to the Hispanic community.
- Alliance participants distributed worker rights information to hundreds of Hispanic workers in California.
The implementation team is working on updating the work plan. OSHA plans to coordinate closer with Cal/OSHA and each Alliance participant.