Region 8 - Alliance Annual Report - October 24, 2018
American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Big Sky Chapter
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
October 24, 2018
July 18, 2017
To provide American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) members and other safety professionals in Montana with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly by identifying, reducing and preventing exposure to hazards associated within the various general industry and construction activities throughout Montana, and to understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
- Tammy Lynn - Current President ASSE
- Jamey Wheeler - Past President and Communication Coordinator - Safety Officer Northwest Energy
- Marissa Morgan - Director of Environmental, Safety, & Health
- Bob Kruckenberg - Treasurer ASSE
- Doug McElderry - President Elect ASSE
- Dawn Schwartz - Secretary ASSE
- Art Hazen - OSHA Billings Area Office Area Director
- ASSE Big Sky Chapter members that is responsible for employee safety in multi-faceted industries in Montana.
July 18, 2017 - July 18, 2018
Implementation Team Meetings
- 7/18/17 - Signed Alliance
- 8/10/17 Press release sent to AP. Drafted "AD Comments" in quarterly ASSE newsletter.
- 11/29/17 - Meeting held
- 11/9/17 - planning for webinars in 2018 Drafted "AD Comments" in quarterly ASSE newsletter.
- 12/19/17 - implementation team meeting regarding uploading of OSHA 300's - in person
- 1/8/18 - planning for the annual meeting to discuss spring/summer events (Workers Memorial, Fall Stand Down, Annual ASSE Meeting)
- 2/15/18 - implementation team meeting held - booth/conference discussion at Safety Fest
- 3/23/18 - implementation team meeting held - Workers Memorial discussion in person
- 3/27/18 Discussion of booth and presentation at Safety Fest (Miles City)
- 4/10/18 - Stand-Up for Grain Engulfment Prevention Week presentation
- 4/17/18 - implementation team meeting held - in person
- 4/27/18 Workers Memorial presentation in person
- 5/8/18 - Fall Stand Down information sent to all alliances
- 5/15/18 Presentation at Miles City safety Fest: Silica in Construction/Record Keeping and Reporting
- 6/15/2018 provided outreach materials for Trench Stand Down
- 8/27/18 Drafted "AD Comments" in quarterly ASSE newsletter.
- 10/11/2018 implemented a meeting and provided memo on OSHA's position on workplace safety incentive programs and post-incident drug testing.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- 1/2/18 - OSHA Silica and recordkeeping presentation to members - Kalispell Safety Fest
- 1/19/2018 - Presentation held at Montana Tech for safety students.
- 4/27/18 - Workers Memorial presentation conducted at Montana Tech, Butte Montana.
Outreach and Communication
4/27/18 Workers Memorial presentation conducted at Montana Tech, Butte Montana.
Provided the following documents available for ASSE, MonDaks, MCCF members: Fall Protection Training Webinar from OH&S, OSHA Fatality Info – 5 years, Labor Department News Brief: Calls to Action To Protect Employees During Excessive Heat and Humidity, provided a free, on-demand webinar for Safe/ Sound Summer, including an informational flyer, a general event flyer, and an event flyer for Spanish speaking workers, as well as provided the information on the new Trenching directive.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The CHA supported OSHA's Safe and Sound Week by committing on OSHA's website in advance and encouraging members of the CHA to enhance and focus on safety and health program management during the Safe and Sound Week. They are also in the planning stages for promoting Safe and Sound for August 2018.
- OSHA information regarding the uploading of OSHA 300 summary information was widely distributed and resulted in a heightened awareness level of the recordkeeping requirement.
- OSHAs enforcement on the Silica in Constructions standard was presented on and discussed in detail.
The alliance raises the awareness level of ASSE members throughout the state of Montana about OSHA enforcement activity and major hazards in the long term general and construction industry, as well as compliance assistance resources available at the OSHA area offices. Particular emphasis this year has been placed on communicating information about enforcement and expectations related to OSHA's emphasis for record keeping and event reporting along with silica in construction. Additionally, during enforcement inspections in the construction industry in Montana, OSHA has observed a consistent level of compliance with the standards. This may have to do with the extensive, shared networking between ASSE, MCCF, MonDaks and the Montana Contractor Association. By encouraging inter alliance networking it allows other alliance members to share ideas with the ASSE and vice versa.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained 1/2/18 - OSHA Silica and recordkeeping presentation to members - Kalispell Safety Fest 50 1/19/2018 - Presentation held at Montana Tech for safety students. 100 4/27/18 - Workers Memorial presentation conducted at Montana Tech, Butte Montana. 50 5/15/18 Presentation at Miles City safety Fest: Silica in Construction/Record Keeping and Reporting 75 TOTAL 600
OSHA and the ASSE will continue to grow. We will have presentations at multiple locations throughout Montana in FY19. We will continue the stand down events, workers memorial day and providing new information. One of the focal points is welcoming the two new members to the alliances in Montana. Montana Renewable Energy and the Montana Contractors Association. The goal is to continue to promote cross talk and networking amongst all members.