Region 6 - Alliance Annual Report - August 11, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Baton Rouge Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), Pelican Chapter
August 11, 2016
May 3, 2012 and renewed on August 11, 2014
August 11, 2015 to August 11, 2016
The Alliance with the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), Pelican Chapter was established to create a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful workplaces. The goals of the Alliance are to be achieved through sharing information, providing guidance, and access to training resources to protect employees’ health and safety. Particular focus is to be paid to reducing and preventing exposure to struck-by, falls, caught-in-between and electrical hazards and addressing construction and industrial contractor issues.
ABC is a national trade association with 72 chapters representing 22,000 members representing more than 19,000 construction and industry-related firms. The ABC, Pelican Chapter was incorporated and developed in April 1980, around the need to adequately service the construction industry throughout Louisiana.
The Chapter’s Safety Committee is responsible for continually updating the membership on any new or revised standards and regulations, to provide oversight and review on all Pelican Chapter safety training, to promote the ABC National Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) Awards program, and to maintain the Alliance with OSHA. The Pelican Chapter Safety Committee comprises the largest concentration of contractor safety professionals in the region, and through the Alliance has a mission of supporting the industry through outreach efforts.
Implementation Team Members
Dorinda Folse, Area Director (AD), OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office
Alexander Novas, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), Pelican Chapter
Shane Pourciau, Chairman, ABC, Pelican Chapter Safety Committee
Jeremy Miller, Vice Chair, ABC, Pelican Chapter Safety Committee
Implementation Team Meetings
The Safety Committee members and officers meet monthly to discuss the progress of the Alliance and topical information covering industry’s safety and health concerns. The monthly meetings commonly feature a guest speaker on a selected safety and health topic relevant to the group. Alliance activities are planned and coordinated at the monthly meetings. OSHA representation normally provides an update presentation and fields a variety of questions from industry professionals regarding regulatory and compliance issues.
Activities and Products
Training and Education
- The ABC, Pelican Chapter Safety Committee held a training seminar on the topics of “Safety Revolution” which included all aspects of safety and the STEP award process. The seminar was provided free of charge and attended by chapter and non-chapter members and their employees.
Outreach and Communication
- The Baton Rouge Area Office, CAS provided OSHA informational and instructive outreach publications at each committee meeting for member distribution to employees.
- The Baton Rouge Area Office, CAS electronically distributed a daily e-mail that provided internet links to current occupational safety and health related information, news, issues and topics.
- The Baton Rouge Area Office, CAS provided compliance update information for the Chapter’s Southwest Campus safety committee meetings in Westlake, Louisiana.
- The Chapter e-mailed the OSHA’s twice monthly newsletter “QuickTakes” to safety committee members upon its release and encourages further distribution.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- The ABC, Pelican Chapter annually recognizes “Workers’ Memorial Day” as a day of remembrance for fallen workers and communicates related information to member employers and industry in the region.
- The ABC, Pelican Chapter supported OSHA’s 2016 “National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction” and promoted event training activities to ABC, Pelican Chapter.
The ABC, Pelican Chapter Members continue to have access to a greater amount of outreach publications, current information and are made aware of the continued efforts of the OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office (BRAO) to reach at-risk industries by sharing current events, safety alerts and best practices.
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
August 2015, Meeting
Near Miss, Safety Audit, and Heat exhaustion September 2015, Meeting
LWC discussed safety plans; STEP presentation October 2015, Meeting
OSHAs confined space standard; Completion of Safety Audit October 2015, Event
Careers in Construction - BYF November 2015, Meeting
Safety Leading Indicators presentation December 2015, Meeting
EIC Awards discussion; Spring Seminar topic discussion December 2015, Event
Provided Safety Judges, Oversight and First-Aid Stand-By for ABC Craft Competition January 2016, Meeting
HSE Leadership Committee; STEP and EIC processes February 2016, Meeting
Spring Seminar; Best Practices March 2016, Event
Provided Safety Judges, Oversight and First-Aid Stand-By for the High School Craft Competition March 2016, Event
Safety Revolution Seminar March 2016, Meeting
STEP Seminar; Workers’ Memorial Day information April 2016, Meeting
A-1 Hydration Management Program presentation; CSST giving safety presentations top classes May 2016, Meeting
HSE Updates; Spring Seminar June 2016, Meeting
Branding Campaign; STEP applications, upcoming events July 2016, Meeting
Near Miss Reports, Lessons Learned. July 2016, Event
Companies completing and submitting self-evaluation against STEP Award criteria for recognition. August 2016, Meeting
Drug and Alcohol free program; Safety Moment TOTAL
- Continue Monthly Safety Committee Meetings.
- Continue to provide safety outreach to regional high school craft programs.
- Conduct a safety seminar on emerging trends in the industry, focus four, fall protection or other topics of interest.
- Renewal of the current Alliance agreement.
Report prepared by: Alexander Novas, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Baton Rouge Area Office